This is a copy of the Middleham jewel which was found near Middleham castle in Yorkshire and dates from around 1460.
Fully engraved with images of the trinity on the front and ativity on the back. The front border has an engraved motto and the reverse border has images of the saints.
The back panel slides out to enable a reliquary to be put inside.
It is made from gilded silver with 12 flat 6mm freshwater pearls around the edge and an 11mm Iolite cabochon on the front. The original was gold with a sapphire and also had enamelling in the engravings.
64mm x 48mm
Ornate Medieval Reliquary cross
Ornate 15th century reliquary cross in silver with granuled decoration. Set with one 6mm rose cut Garnet in the centre and four cabachon cut garnets on the arms of the cross, four baroque freshwater pearls are also threaded between the arms.
This is a copy of a gilded silver 15thc German cross from the V and A collection, the garnets may represent the blood of Christ and the Pearls are symbolic of purity. The back is engraved with five roundels depicting the instruments of the passion: the nails, lance, scourge, sponge and what may be a rope.
This cross is hollow and made up of two parts, unfortunately it can't be left open. Available in Gilded brass, Silver and Gilded Silver.
5.4cm high x 7mm thick.